Saturday, June 21, 2014

Written in Reverse

As I mentioned in the Berlin show notes, it’s important for me to get some down/quiet/alone time before a show. I need to collect my thoughts and focus on playing. Especially if the day has been (or still is) hectic and no-stop. Berlin was a late night after a couple of hours or so of driving and plenty of socializing before the show.

I figured out that I need this a few years ago. My band Gosta Berling was playing at El Rio in SF, as part of pour short-lived Vie le Rock series. We would invite one or two other bands to play, and also have a local film-maker present some work. In this case, I’d set up the whole show, from bands to film-maker. I was keyed in on set-times, flow of the night, setting up the stage to show the film…I was both musician and event coordinator. I got a bit amped up and was scattered…all over the place. I played like shit.

Since then I’ve made a point of making show nights as relaxed as possible. Minimize distractions, focus on the set. If possible get some down/alone/quiet time beforehand…a walk, sitting in a dressing room or quiet space in the venue. Think through the set.

I’m making sure I do this each night on this tour. We’re doing long-drives, usually 3-4 hours though unfamiliar areas. Sometimes we don’t go on until 11pm or so, after being up and packing and on the road from 10am, after having been out late the night before. And we have no road crew or tour manager, so we’re doing everything. Managing the brain is as important as managing the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment