Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Big Day Coming

Music has been my main creative outlet since I was 19. With one brief exception when my band the Idle Wilds went to Memphis to make a record for RCA (but didn't come out on RCA...that's a story for later), I've never attempted to make my livelihood from music. Though music has always been much more than a hobby, it's never been my career.

That said, I'd still say I've had a a career in music. I've played on all or parts of 4 LPs, 3 EPs, a couple of singles and a bunch of demos and one-off recordings. I've gotten to play places like CBGB's in New York, The Roxy and the Echo in LA, Bottom of the Hill in SF, the Khyber Pass and JC Dobbs in Philadelphia. I've signed the aforementioned major label deal and had the all-too-common major label dumping. I've had some transformative experiences, some really great, some not so great. Magic moments on stage, in the rehearsal or recording studio. Good times with bandmates and shitty band break-ups. 

For all the things on my rock-and-roll resume, I've never done a proper tour. 

This summer...this week, that changes. 

I'm heading to Europe to play bass with Slowness, in support of the just-released album (on which I played on a few tracks) - 
How to Keep From Falling Off a Mountain 
(stream & buy mp3 here, buy vinyl here)


Between June 13 and June 28 we're playing 10 shows in 10 cities in 5 countries. 


June 13 Leipzig Noch Besser Lebben
June 14 Berlin Antje Öklesund
June 18 Oldenburg Polyester Klub
June 20 Cologne Tsunami club
June 21 Strasbourg Hall de Chars
June 22 Regensburg Mono Bar
June 24 Prague Rock Cafe
June 25 Poznan LAS
June 26 Warsaw Chmury
June 28 Copenhagen The Artists Collective Tietgensgade


The plan is to use this space as a tour diary...show recaps, travel stories, random observations. Updates will come as often as decent wifi service allows.

We had a great start to the tour (in the same way the Tour de France sometimes starts outside of France) with a show this past Sunday at the Hemlock in SF. Hopefully the magic will continue through the next few weeks. Check this space to see what happens...

-greg

No comments:

Post a Comment